I am Stella from Sri lanka
When you are planning your next birthday party do not forget to make this recipe
- First, make the dough for the basket: Sift the flour. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next add approximately 1/2 of the egg yolk and the water. Mix well your hands. Try to work quickly.
- Wrap the dough and chill for 10 -15 minutes.
- Now take the dough and roll out into a large square that is about 1/8 inch thick, using a rolling pin. . Cut it into 5×3 inch rectangles (you should get about 15) using a pastry cutter or sharp knife.
- I made some little boat or leaf shaped moulds out of cardboard, covered with aluminum foil. Or you can use similar store bought molds (need to be a bit smaller than 5×3 inch size, to fit your dough rectangles). Grease moulds.
- Put the pastry rectangles into the greased moulds (use butter or coking spray) and make sure the dough goes up the sides as well.Then trim off the excess pastry. Prick the base with a fork to prevent air bubbles.
- Make the filling: In a pan heat 1/2 table spoon olive oil over medium high heat, add garlic and mix until slightly softened. Next add onion and salmon. Mix until onion is softened and everything is heated through. Add pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Place your prepared filling in the pastry boats and beat the egg. Brush the egg over the top of the filling.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 200C degrees or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- After that decorate with colored mashed potatoes.
- Take a potato. Peel and boil it, covered with water, until potatoes are fork tender. Drain the water. Squash the potato with a potato masher or mixer. Add butter salt, white pepper and food coloring. Mix well. Put mashed potato mixture into a piping bag and pipe it on top of the filling, as I’ve done in the photo above.
- The sails were made out of carrot (cut into rounds and stood up on top of the potato filling). See picture.
- Serve and enjoy.